In Texas, child support is determined based on a number of factors that are designed to ensure that the child’s needs are met and that the burden of supporting the child is fairly distributed between the parents. Some of the most important factors that go into determining child support in Texas include:
- The net resources of the obligor: This refers to the monthly gross income of the parent responsible for paying child support, minus certain deductions such as taxes and health insurance premiums. This amount is used as a starting point for determining the appropriate level of child support.
- The number of children for whom support is being determined: Child support payments are typically higher for families with more children, as there are more mouths to feed and more expenses to cover.
- The amount of time each parent spends with the children: In Texas, child support is calculated using a formula that takes into account the amount of time each parent spends with the children. This helps to ensure that the parent who spends more time with the children is not unfairly burdened with the cost of supporting them.
- The age and needs of the children: The age and needs of the children are also important factors in determining child support in Texas. For example, a child with special needs may require additional financial support to meet their medical and therapeutic needs.
- Any financial resources available to the obligee and the children: The financial resources of the parent receiving child support and the children themselves can also be taken into account when determining child support. For example, if the obligee has a high income or if the children have significant financial resources of their own, this may be taken into consideration when setting the child support amount.
Contact our attorneys today!
At The Law Offices of Celeste Robertson, LLC– We’re ready to go the distance on your behalf. Regardless of any present complexities in your situation, we have the resources needed to offer you viable solutions for even the most demanding legal situations. Our legal team will not give up on your best interests, so do not make the mistake of taking on this battle without your trusted allies.
Schedule a consultation today, Contact us by calling our office at (361) 765 – 0600 at your earliest convenience.